The Jerry Bailey Educational Opportunity Scholarship provides financial support for low-income, underrepresented and first-generation students as they pursue an undergraduate degree at the University of Kansas. One to two recipients yearly will receive a one-time award, ranging from $750 to $1,500.
The yearly application period is January 1–March 1 for awards the following fall. All documents and admissions/financial need processes must be completed and submitted by March 1. Applications postmarked or emailed after this deadline will not be considered. Scholarship recipients will be notified by April 15.
March 1, 2020
Applicants must be newly entering freshmen/transfer students, or continuing undergraduate students at KU, and they must be enrolled full-time (12+ credits) during the fall term of the scholarship award.
The Selection Committee will give preference to applicants who meet as many of the following criteria as possible:
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be first-generation college students, meaning neither parent/guardian has earned a 4-year college bachelor's degree
- Be current or former participants of a KU CEOP program
- Have achieved academic success despite hardship or unusual challenge(s)
- Demonstrate personal motivation for achieving academic and career goals