A minimum of five (5) scholarships will be awarded.
The High Scholastic Achievement Scholarship was established in 1993 to assist graduating high school seniors with financing their first year of college. This scholarship is for high school seniors who personify commitment, integrity, and kindness. The successful applicant should demonstrate community involvement and leadership skills.
Submit a complete application along with the following documents:
• A personal statement that includes academic status, community service, and educational and career goals (1 page or less, typed, double-spaced, Times New Roman, font size 12)
• An essay addressing the following question: If you could spend one day with a historical person, real or fiction, who would it be? Explain your choice. What would you talk about and what advice and knowledge would you seek from him/her? (500-words, typed, double-spaced, Times Roman, font size 12)
• A high school resume of activities capturing your high school career. Such activities may include: academics, extra-curricular activities, community involvement, work experience, religious affiliations, offices held, awards, and other scholarships received.
• An unofficial high school transcript.
• Two letters of recommendation from individuals not related to you (at least one must be from a teacher or advisor).
March 31, 2019
The applicant must:
• African-American high school senior, graduating in May 2019 from a school in the Greater Kansas City area
• Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.50 or above after the first semester of their senior year
• United States citizen
• Plan to attend a four-year college or university Fall 2019